Lost/Stolen Green Card
A lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States is required to present a valid Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, if seeking readmission to the U.S. after a temporary absence of less than one year. A Transportation Boarding foil facilitates boarding by the airline to transport you back to the U.S.
How to apply for a transportation boarding foil
- Download and complete the Application for Travel Document (Form I-131A);
- Create an online USCIS account to pay the fee for the I-131A application;
- Forward the payment confirmation, a scan of the biographical page of your passport, and your Alien Registration Number to osloLPR@state.gov. Upon receipt, the Embassy will schedule your appointment.
What should I bring to the appointment?
- Your valid passport;
- Original Form I-131A completed and signed;
- Receipt of payment;
- Police Report (if your Permanent Resident Card (I-551) was lost/stolen);
- Proof of being outside the United States for less than one year since last departure, (flight tickets/electronic itinerary showing your last departure from the United States and your upcoming return;
- One passport photo in color 5×5 cm, full face, white background.
Expired Permanent Resident Cards (Form 1-551)
Although regulations generally require a Legal Permanent Resident to travel to the United States with a valid Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), CBP policy permits a transportation carrier bound for the United States to board an LPR with an expired Green Card without penalty as long as the following applies:
- You are an LPR and your Green Card was issued with a 10-year expiration date, or
- You are an LPR with an expired Green Card with a two-year expiration date AND you also have a Form 1-797, Notice of Action, for Form I-751 or Form I-829 to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status. The Notice of Action extends the validity of the Green Card for a specified length of time, generally one year.
For more information about international travel as a Permanent Resident, please see the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website.
What if I lost my Green Card when visiting Denmark/Sweden?
Please contact the Consular Section at U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen/ Stockholm for assistance with a transportation boarding foil.