Citizenship Services

U.S. citizenship may be acquired either at birth or through naturalization subsequent to birth.  Persons born outside of the U.S. may acquire U.S. citizenship under certain circumstances.

What Service Do You Require?

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) you must make an appointment and come to the embassy with your child. You are required to bring all forms, and supplemental documents, as well as provide evidence that you meet the requirements to transmit citizenship to your child. We recommend that you apply for a passport and social security number at the same time.

Please see the our checklist for required documents to be presented when registering a child born abroad as a U.S. citizen.

Processing time is approximately one month. We can send everything to you with registered mail or you may pick-up when everything is completed. Please note that we are only able to send with registered mail to addresses in Norway.

More information about acquiring U.S. citizenship.

Renunciation is the most unequivocal way in which a person can manifest an intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship. Please consider the effects of renouncing U.S. citizenship before taking this serious and irrevocable action. We recommend that you see the Department of State travel site for more information before you start this process.

A person wishing to renounce citizenship must voluntarily and with intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:

  1. appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer
  2. in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or consulate); and
  3. sign an oath of renunciation
  4. pay a $2350 fee at the appointment.

Please contact us by writing an e-mail to to request the information package regarding the renunciation process. This is the first step in the process of renouncing your citizenship. Once you have filled out the required forms we will book you in for an appointment to formally renounce your citizenship at the Embassy. After you have met for your interview with the consular officer, processing time is normally 6 months on average.

Please read this important security information before visiting the Embassy.