Report Birth Abroad

Requirement: You must have at least two child page associated to this parent in order for the table of contents to appear. This message will disappear once you meet the requirement.

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.

To apply for a Report of Birth Abroad you must make an appointment and come to the Embassy with your child. You are required to bring all forms, and supplemental documents, as well as provide evidence that you meet the requirements to transmit citizenship to your child. We recommend that you apply for a passport and social security number at the same time.

Please see the our checklist for required documents to be presented when registering a child born abroad as a U.S. citizen.

Processing time is approximately one month. We can send everything to you with registered mail or you may pick-up when everything is completed.

More information about acquiring U.S. citizenship.