Savings Bonds Abroad

Redemption of United States Savings Bonds Abroad

Signature Verification at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate General

  • Request for payment must be signed in the presence of and be certified by a U.S. diplomatic or consular representative or an officer of a foreign branch of a bank that’s incorporated in the U.S., the territories or possessions of the U.S., or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or in the presence of and certified by a notary or other official authorized to administer oaths.
  • If the signature is certified by a notary or other foreign official authorized to administer oaths, a U.S. or diplomatic or consular officer should certify and attest to the official’s character and jurisdiction.
  • If you are a U.S. citizen, you must include a statement over your signature stating that you are a U.S. citizen and you must provide your Social Security Number.
  • If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need to fill out and include IRS Form W-8BEN .

There is no fee for this service which is performed during notarial hours .

Send the signed and certified bonds to either of these addresses:

Bureau of Public Debt
P.O. Box 7012
Parkersburg, West Virginia 26106-7012


Federal Reserve Bank of Pittsburgh
P.O. Box 299
Pittsburgh, PA 15230

For further information or questions regarding U.S. savings bonds, please visit the Department of Treasury’s website at