An official website of the United States government

Social Security
November 1, 2023


Social Security Online Services

You can now access many services online if you live outside of the United States. Learn more about what you can do with your personal my Social Security account at www.ssa.gov/foreign.

Until now, you needed a U.S. mailing address to access Social Security’s free my Social Security account and use their online services. Now, many people without a U.S. mailing address can create a personal my Social Security account and use the online services with an ID.me credential.  If you don’t already have an ID.me credential:

  1. Go to www.ssa.gov/myaccount.
  2. On the my Social Security page, select the “Create an Account” button and then select “Sign in with ID.me.”
  3. Select the “Create an ID.me account” link and follow the instructions.
  4. On ID.me’s “Verify Your Identity” screen, select the “I don’t live in the United States” link at the bottom of the page and follow the instructions to complete the registration process.
  5. Once you create your credential, you will be returned to the my Social Security webpage for next steps.

If you already have an ID.me credential, select “Sign In” from the my Social Security page and then sign in to ID.me. You will be redirected to your my Social Security account.

Note: if you had a my Social Security account prior to moving overseas, you will need to create an ID.me credential to use it from an international address.

Once you have created your personal my Social Security account, you will be able to:

  • Check your earnings.
  • Get your benefit estimates.
  • Check the status of your application or appeal.
  • View, print, or save a benefit verification letter (Social Security is unable to mail to a foreign address).
  • Change Special Notice Options (SNO Notices).
  • Access some representative payee services.
  • View, print, or save a replacement SSA-1099/1042S tax statement (Social Security is unable to mail replacement statements to a foreign address).
  • Access online notices.
  • Request a replacement Medicare Card.

Some services are not available outside of the United States:

  • Changing your address.
  • Changing your direct deposit.
  • Requesting a replacement Social Security card.

The Oslo Federal Benefits Unit provides services:

The Oslo Federal Benefits Unit provides services for the Social Security Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs, Office of Personnel Management and Railroad Retirement Board.

We provide services to residents of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland.

For service details, follow the links below:

*** Our office only responds to email inquiries not covered in the topics above. ***
If your questions is not addressed in the services detailed above, you can expect a response within 5 business days.

You may contact us by using our online form or email at fbu.oslo@ssa.gov.

Mailing Address:
PO Box 4075 AMB
0244 Oslo, Norway

Visiting Address:
Morgedalsvegen 36
0378 Oslo (Consular Entrance is on Sørkedalsveien)

If an in-person visit is required, these must be arranged in advance, by e-mail.
Please read this important security information before visiting us.

The office is closed on U.S. and Norwegian holidays.

Proof of Residence Outside The United States

The text on this page relates to documentation required when requesting a Social Security Number (SSN) for yourself or your child over the age of 12 years. It is very rare for someone who was born in the U.S. not to have been assigned a Social Security Number. The most common reason for such an occurrence is a child born in the U.S. who moved abroad while very young.

You must submit documentation to prove your allegation of absence from the U.S. as the reason a Social Security Number was never assigned. The documentation must be comprehensive and date from the time the person departed the U.S. to the present. Proof for each year is not required, but the documentation must provide sufficient evidence of absence from the U.S. (i.e., foreign residency). We will not accept a Social Security Number application if there is insufficient evidence of foreign residency.

The following documents are examples of evidence that are usually readily available, and these may be used in combination with other personal documents to provide the necessary proof of foreign residence:

  • Extract of records with the original seal/stamp of the National Registry/Tax Office showing date you moved to the country after leaving the US and the periods of residence in the country.
  • School records such as report cards or a letter from the school confirming dates of attendance
  • Travel documents such as current or canceled passports (U.S. or other)
  • Employment records
  • Medical records
  • All evidence submitted must be original documents, photocopies are not acceptable.

It will help speed your interview if you bring in your original documents AND photocopies. The photocopies will be checked and retained for your application, and your original documents returned to you immediately.

Help Us Fight Fraud

There are three ways to report possible fraudulent situations:

SA Fraud Hotline
P.O. BOX 17768

Fax: 410/597-0118

E-Mail: OIG.Hotline@ssa.gov

Details regarding the allegation should include the basics of:

  • Who committed the fraud (name, date of birth, social security number and address)?
  • What exactly did the suspect do?
  • Where did the fraud take place?
  • When did it happen?
  • How was the fraud committed?
  • Do you know why the person committed the fraud?
  • Who else has knowledge of the potential violation?

The more you can tell us, the better chance we have of determining whether a crime has been committed.