Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Oslo, Norway – 5 June 2020
A demonstration is planned to take place at the U.S. Embassy in Oslo off of Sørkedalsveien in the Huseby neighborhood today, June 5, 2020, related to protests occurring across the United States. The demonstration is scheduled to begin at 1600 (4:00 p.m.) at the U.S. Embassy, and there may be another related demonstration staged in front of the Storting (Parliament) this afternoon as well.
The start time of the demonstration is variable, and we cannot accurately predict the number of demonstrators involved. Furthermore, while most demonstrations in Oslo are coordinated with local police and remain peaceful, even demonstrations expected to be non-violent are unpredictable and can escalate into violence. Accordingly, U.S. citizens are advised to proceed with caution and consider avoiding the embassy and Storting areas around the time of the demonstration.
Actions to Consider:
- Avoid the embassy and Storting areas from 1400-2000 (2:00pm to 8:00pm).
- Remain vigilant and aware of your general surroundings. Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- When driving, choose alternate routes to avoid the area as traffic delays can be expected.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Follow instructions from police and government authorities.
- U.S. Embassy Oslo, Norway
- +(47) 21 30 85 40
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Norway Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter