Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Oslo, Norway – August 29, 2020
There are two demonstrations planned for this Saturday, August 29, 2020, from 1300 to 1500 hours at Eidsvoll Plass in front of the Storting (Parliament) in downtown Oslo – one by a group called “Stop islamisation of Norway” (SIAN) and a counter-protest by Oslo against racism (Oslo mot rasisme). The start times of the demonstrations are variable, and we cannot accurately predict the number of demonstrators involved. Furthermore, while most demonstrations in Oslo are coordinated with local police and remain peaceful, even demonstrations expected to be non-violent are unpredictable and can escalate into violence. For example, an August 22 demonstration and counter-protest in Bergen by the same two groups resulted in clashes. Accordingly, U.S. citizens are advised to proceed with caution and consider avoiding downtown areas near the Storting from 1200-1600.
Actions to consider:
- Avoid downtown areas near the Storting (Parliament) from 1200-1600.
- Remain vigilant and aware of your general surroundings. Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or demonstrations.
- When driving, choose alternate routes to avoid the area as traffic delays can be expected.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Follow instructions from police and government authorities.