During the holiday season there is the potential for increased crime and acts of violent extremism in Norway.
Planned attacks and criminal activity often occur in crowded public locations such as holiday markets, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, schools, and other areas frequented by tourists. Public events, such as demonstrations, holiday events, and celebratory gatherings are also at a higher risk for violence.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Oslo, Norway
- (+47) 21 30 85 40
- Department of State – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Norway Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Police Emergency number in Norway – 112