CDC may grant a humanitarian or emergency exception in very limited circumstances only when an individual must travel to the United States to preserve health (e.g., emergency medical evacuations, life-saving medical treatment) or safety (e.g., violence) and is unable to become fully vaccinated before travel. Individuals who fit the exception criteria described in the Presidential Proclamation and CDC’s Amended Order may contact the U.S. embassy in Oslo. The embassy will then transmit the information to the CDC for consideration.
Individuals – or air carriers seeking to allow boarding by potentially qualifying individuals – who believe they meet the criteria for a waiver should contact the U.S. Embassy at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and provide the information below.
To facilitate the review of a humanitarian or emergency exception request, individuals should submit the following information to the embassy for transmission to the CDC. All information needs to be completed in full and in English for the request to be sent to CDC.
- Name (family name/surname, given name)
- Nationality on passport used for travel
- Indicate Visa Type or if passenger has Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)
- Cell phone number (including country code) of passenger or head of household if family unit
- Email address of passenger or head of household if family unit
- US destination address
- Is US destination home address?
- Flight itinerary, including any connecting flights
- Flight #
- Departure airport and date of departure
- Arrival airport and date of arrival
- Any COVID-19 vaccines received to date, if applicable:
- Name of vaccine product (or products if a combination)
- Date of first dose
- Date of second dose (if a two-dose series) PDF or photograph of vaccination record
- Purpose of travel to the US and a brief explanation of why urgent travel is needed
- Justification for humanitarian or emergency exception to providing proof of being fully vaccinated (e.g., vaccine availability, passenger ineligible for vaccine at location, insufficient time to become fully vaccinated)
- Documentation to support justification (e.g., medical records, orders for emergency evacuation)
- Information regarding any other solutions that were sought prior to application (e.g., assistance in obtaining vaccination, etc.)