Event: The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor the rapidly changing conditions due to COVID-19 in Norway and other locations worldwide. For information regarding the impact of COVID-19, visit our COVID Information Page.
To prevent the introduction of a new variant of Covid-19 discovered in the UK, effective Monday December 21, 2020, Norway banned all direct flights from the United Kingdom to Norway for a period of 48 hours and implemented stricter infection control measures for those arriving from the United Kingdom.
- All travelers arriving from the UK, including those who arrived in Norway within the last 14 days, must register with the municipality in which they will stay and undergo a COVID-19 PCR test. The PCR test must occur within 24 hours of arriving in Norway (or as soon as possible for those who arrived within the last 14 days), followed by another PCR test no earlier than seven days after arrival. The test results must be available prior to the end of the 10 day quarantine. The requirements are to remain in effect until January 10.
- As far as possible, testing should take place at the airport or other border station, otherwise travelers must contact the municipality or other test station to order testing.
- Travelers who were physically present in the United Kingdom in the 14 days prior to arrival in Norway, retroactive to those who arrived after 7 December 2020, must be tested as soon as possible.
Actions to Take:
- Please see the latest information about how these new measures may affect you on Norwegian Ministry of Health and Care Services.
- Check the websites of relevant U.S. Embassies or Consulates for information on restrictions, foreign quarantine policies, and urgent health information.
- Check the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration website to ensure you comply with all applicable requirements upon your return to Norway. Please note the Norwegian government recently announced a new digital travel registration system to prevent the spread of Covid-19. The Norwegian government aims to have this system up and running in early 2021.
- Monitor the Health Norway website for the latest Norwegian national and local COVID-19 prevention measures, as well as information about quarantine and testing. Health Norway’s website.
If you have questions, please contact American Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy in Oslo. We may be reached by email at OsloACS@state.gov.
- Embassy of the United States of America | https://no.usembassy.gov
Mailing address: P.O. Box 4075 AMB, 0244 Oslo, Norway
Visitors and delivery address: Morgedalsvegen 36, 0378 Oslo, Norway (Consular entrance on Sørkedalsveien)
- State Department Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Norway Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter