An official website of the United States government

Green Card Abandonment
March 31, 2022

To be admitted to the United States as a Legal Permanent Resident (Green Card holder), you must maintain your status as a permanent resident in the United States. If you reside permanently outside the United States or for other reasons chose to remain outside the country for long periods of time and are therefore unable to maintain your status, you may voluntarily abandon your green card.

For information on how to maintain your Legal Permanent Resident status, please see the USCIS website.