INTERVIEWS WAIVED FOR STUDENT AND CERTAIN EXCHANGE VISITORS VISA PROCESSING:
The Department of State has waived, through December 31, 2021, the in-person interview requirement for some first-time students and certain exchange visitors. U.S. Embassy Oslo is ready to receive applications by mail for F1, F2, M1 students and J1 and J2 academic exchange visitors, in the student, professor, research scholar, short-term scholar, and specialist category who also qualify for a National Interest Exception (NIE) to the current travel restrictions or we cannot process your application. Students applying for F or M visas with a valid I-20 do not need a National Interest Exception to the current travel restrictions.
No other categories of exchange visitors may benefit from this change and no other categories of J visa applications will be approved. Do not attempt to mail in your J1 or J2 application if you have not reviewed the requirements for the National Interest Exceptions.
To take advantage of this change in student and exchange visitor visa processing, you must meet the requirements for your visa class and follow the instructions carefully. Please read the following instructions below carefully, applications and applicants not conforming to the below parameters will be refused or will require an interview, at such time as routine interviews resume.
- We will not be able to accept reciprocity payments for extended visa validity.
- We will not be able to process your application if you have been refused a visa that was not subsequently overcome or waived, or if you have been denied an ESTA.
- You must not have any apparent or potential ineligibility.
- You must be physically present in Norway.
- If you do not have a Norwegian passport, you must have legal residence in Norway and provide proof of residence with your application. **Please note: to qualify for a waiver of the in-person interview requirement, non-Norwegian citizens who are not citizens of another Visa Waiver Country must have been previously issued a visa in any class and may need to appear for fingerprinting.
- Your current passport must be valid for at least 6 more months.
- If your program state date is more than 120 days away, we will need to hold your application and passport until we are within the 120-day window. If you are within the 120-day window from your start date, we will need to hold your passport for approximately one week for processing.
- You have not already missed your program start date or cannot provide proof of an extension.
How to Apply: Please visit our Global Support Services (GSS) website for complete information on how to apply.