An official website of the United States government

March 11, 2022

Report Birth Abroad

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth.

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) you must make an appointment and come to the embassy with your child. You are required to bring all forms, and supplemental documents, as well as provide evidence that you meet the requirements to transmit citizenship to your child. We recommend that you apply for a passport and social security number at the same time.

Please see the checklist below for required documents to be presented when registering a child born abroad as a U.S. citizen.

Children born in Norway after May 3, 2019 will only receive an electronic confirmation of registered Norwegian national identity number and name, not a printed birth certificate. The electronic confirmation of registration will not be accepted as a birth certificate when applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Before applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, please visit www.skatteetaten.no to order a birth certificate in paper format with a stamp and signature.

Processing time is approximately one month. We can send the Consular Report of Birth Abroad with registered mail or you may pick-up when it is completed.

More information about acquiring U.S. citizenship.

Eligibility for a CRBA

Children under the age of 18 born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) may be eligible for a CRBA.

For further information, please visit the Department of State’s website.

Transmitting Citizenship

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table below.

Examples of Documentation:

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated)
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.

Birth Abroad – Checklist

Please see this checklist for a list of items that you will need to bring to your appointment. If you have any questions please send an e-mail to OsloACS@state.gov

  • Completed application DS-2029. (PDF 62 KB) Do not sign until you get to the Embassy.
  • Original birth certificate with stamp and signature for the child – issued by the Norwegian Folkeregister/Skatteetaten, showing the parent’s and child’s full names; original and three copies. Children born in Norway after May 3rd 2019 will no longer automatically be issued a birth certificate, parents will have to request it.
  • Original marriage certificate; original and one copy.
  • Prior marriage and divorce documents for parents; original and one copy.
  • U.S. citizen parent’s valid U.S. passport. Non-U.S. citizen parent may use driver’s license or passport; original and and 3 copies of each ID.
  • Cash or credit card to pay the fee. Social security application is free.
  • Proof of physical presence for the American parent. School transcripts, proof of employment, or any other document that shows that you were physically in the U.S. long enough to transmit your citizenship to your child. Generally 5 years or 60 months. Special circumstances can apply.
  • Large unpadded envelope with stamps for NOK 270. Please note that we are only able to send with registered mail to addresses in Norway.

When you have all of the required listed above, please book an appointment.

To also apply for a passport and social security number please bring:

  • Passport application DS-11 (Both parents must sign this application at the Embassy. If one parent cannot come then they may complete and have notarized a consent form DS-3053).
  • Photo of the child; 5×5 cm, photo requirements.
  • Social Security number application SS-5. (PDF 132 KB)