The U.S. Embassy in Oslo sponsors a variety of international exchange programs each year, together with the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). These exchanges are designed to enhance mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and Norway. The Embassy is committed to supporting alumni by providing resources that will help them to build upon their exchange experience.
Who are Exchange Alumni?
Since 1949, U.S. Government-funded exchange programs have brought thousands of Norwegian citizens to the United States for training. These programs give participants an opportunity to obtain knowledge and develop skills in their fields of expertise and establish valuable contacts with U.S. colleagues. Returning participants of exchange and training programs have become known as “alumni” of U.S. Government exchange programs. You are an alumnus/alumna of an USG exchange program if you have participated in at least one of the following:
- International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP)
- Fulbright Exchange Programs
- IVLP on Demand (formerly known as Voluntary Visitors Program)
- Youth Exchange Programs
U.S. government-sponsored exchange program participants and alumni living in Norway have a number of opportunities to be involved in post-exchange activities, as well as receive access to specialized resources, including:
- Events such as conferences, receptions, happy hours, roundtables and training sessions
- Alumni Association: Fulbright Alumni Organization of Norway (FAAN)
- The International Exchange Alumni online community, to stay connected with Norwegian alumni and the global alumni network
- Information Resource Centers
- Other opportunities involving alumni-run initiatives (i.e., mentoring, volunteering, etc.)
If you are an alumnus(a) and have ideas for events or activities, we want to hear from you! Please contact our alumni coordinator at email@example.com.
Online Global Community for Alumni
International Exchange Alumni (IEA) is the official website for more than 1,000,000 alumni of exchange programs sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). Interactive, dynamic, and password-protected, alumni.state.gov offers alumni from U.S. government-sponsored exchange programs a place to:
- Network with alumni from various programs
- Find grant and funding opportunities worth more than $33 billion
- Access more than 20,000 free periodicals, newspapers, and more
- Find the latest research in your field, plus job and career resources
- Participate in live Q&A discussions with experts
- Share your experience with a global audience
- Read alumni success stories, perspectives, and ideas
- Stay involved through a local alumni associations
The emphasis on the International Exchange Alumni site is on user-created content, so members are encouraged to post events, job announcements, news, photos, and grant opportunities directly to International Exchange Alumni. To access the global community, please click on this link: http://alumni.state.gov
All alumni are invited to register for the site by clicking “Join Now.” All members are verified as alumni of a U.S. government-sponsored exchange program before receiving full access.
Alumni Small Grants Program
The U.S. Embassy in Oslo accepts small grant applications on a rolling basis. Any alumni of U.S. Government exchange programs or organizations working with USG alumni are eligible to apply. Contact our alumni coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a grant request form, and be sure to mention that it is regarding alumni funding.
Priority consideration will be given to applicants who:
- Work with an alumni association to implement the grant
- Strengthen the alumni community
Priority will further be given to applicants who:
- Cooperate with alumni from different programs to implement the grant
- Demonstrate the wider community impact resulting from the grant activity
- Propose budgets under $5,000.00
Other Useful Links
- Small Grants Program, U.S. Embassy, Oslo
- American Councils for International Education
- Voice of America
- Sister Cities International
- ExchangesConnect – Global Community of People Interested in Cross Cultural Exchange –
How you can contact us
For all questions about alumni activities in Norway, please contact alumni coordinator at email@example.com.