An official website of the United States government

Address or Direct Deposit
January 1, 2020

Reporting a New Address to Social Security


To report your new address, please complete the form in the link here: Reporting a New Address to Social Security (PDF 529 KB)

If you are moving from the U.S. you will also need to provide a completed Form SSA-21, Supplement To Claim Of Person Outside The United States (PDF 145 KB), – all questions must be answered and legible.

For non-U.S. citizens or residents living in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland, there is an alien tax deduction of 25.5% per month. To get exemption from this, proof of U.S. citizenship/ residency must be provided.

Unless you intend to return to the U.S, you may also wish to cancel your enrollment in Medicare Part B for which you pay a monthly premium.

Note: For correction of address on the benefit statement:
Until you actually apply for benefit payments, we do not keep your current address on record at the Social Security Administration. When we mail your automatic Social Security Statement to you, we use the address provided to us by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Your address will be automatically updated when you file your next U.S. Tax Return or you can correct the address that IRS has on file by completing Form 8822 (PDF 83 KB) and mailing it to IRS.

To enroll in direct deposit or to change a current bank account, please complete the form in the link with document of valid photo ID attached in your mail to us: Report change of Bank account to Social Security (PDF 530KB) 

Please do not close your old account until payments start getting credited into your new one.